HOW TO MEDITIATE
With regular routine, a home meditation practice can calm the mind, relax the body and reduce stress. It has the ability to enhance physical vitality, mental well-being and spiritual growth. By cultivating mindfulness, it can also enhance emotional well-being, supporting a healthy nervous system and strengthening the immune system.
Creating a peaceful and conducive space for meditation can greatly enhance your practice. Firstly choose a quiet location in your home or outdoors that is free from distractions. It could be a dedicated room, a corner, or a garden.
Fisrtly, YPC explores some steps to set up a sacred space for meditation:
• Begin by purifying the physical and energetic aspects of your space.
• Cleanse the area, removing any clutter or distractions. Use Yogi Incense, essential oils or burn sacred herbs such as sage or palo santo, to cleanse the energy and create a pure atmosphere.
• Take a few deep breaths to center and align your energy. You could even use a pranayama technique to commence your meditation. Pranayama is a term from yoga that refers to a set of breathing exercises and techniques.
It is a Sanskrit word that consists of two parts: "prana," which means life force or vital energy, and "ayama," which means control or expansion. Pranayama, therefore, translates to the control or expansion of the life force or breath.
• After a few rounds of pranayama breathing, allow the breath to flow naturally, grounding and calming the mind.
• If your mind begins to wander, bring your attention back to the breath.
• If you find it challenging to meditate silently, you can use guided meditation recordings or apps that provide instructions and background music to help you stay focused.
• Select a comfortable seat or cushion to sit on during meditation. You can use a meditation cushion, a yoga mat or a comfortable chair.
• Ensure your body is supported and relaxed. Explore yoga asanas like Padmasana (Lotus Pose), Sukhasana (Easy Pose) or Virasana (Seated on heels), always maintaining an upright spine, promoting alertness and deep relaxation.
• Create a serene ambiance conducive to introspection. Natural light is ideal for meditation.
• If possible, choose a space with a window or open curtains to let in natural light and fresh air.
• Consider playing gentle instrumental music or soothing nature sounds. You may incorporate elements of nature, such as flowers, crystals, or incense, to enhance the meditative atmosphere and make it your own.
• Introduce a focal point or object of meditation to anchor your awareness. Our meditation mats are the perfect place to find a sense of grounding in your space.
• You can also use our incense, a candle flame, a sacred image, a mantra or, simply the sensation of the breath.
• Reflect on your purpose, whether it be cultivating inner peace, self-awareness, self-healing or spiritual growth.
• Infuse the space with your heartfelt intention, inviting the divine grace to guide your journey.
• When distractions arise in meditation, gently guide your focus back to the present moment. Witness thoughts without attachment, allowing them to pass.
• Return attention to the breath, mantra, or chosen point of focus.
• Cultivate patience and self-compassion, knowing that distractions are part of the practice.
• Embrace the journey, repeatedly redirecting the mind with kindness and persistence.
• The stillness and peace of meditation will gradually unfold, revealing the true essence of being.
• Begin with a few minutes and gradually extend the practice to a length that feels comfortable. Ultimately, aim for 15-30 minutes or longer if possible.
• Consistency matters more than duration, it is the regularity of practice that nurtures profound transformation and inner awakening.
• And as always, thank yourself for creating the time to get onto your meditation mat to escape within.
Shop our meditation mats here